Each of us want a best friend in life but most look right past the one that is right in front of us, our spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend or partner. Just because one is committed to the other does not mean you cannot be each other’s best friend. In fact, that to me is the way it should be. One thing I have noticed though we forget what makes each a best friend to the other. Because of that, I penned a few thoughts as to what makes a best friend to me. I think that Gwen and I do this for each other.
So take a look and my thoughts on what it means to be a best friend for the ones that you love below, do you fit the bill? Do they? If not then maybe its time. Remember its all up to us in the end…
• Do you make them feel good about being them?
• Do you affirm their best qualities (especially when feeling insecure)
• Do you call out the best in each other?
• Do you listen without judging?
• Do you give them the benefit of the doubt and trust them?
• Extend grace and understanding to them when I am grumpy or having a bad day.
• Do you remember what matters to them?
• Do you know the others “story” and love them no matter what?
• Do you spend time with one another because you enjoy each other?
• Do you speak well and highly of each other when the other is not around?
• Do you serve each other with a joyful spirit without complaint?
• Do you speak the truth with each other when no one else will?
• Do you never shame, diminish or make the other feel small?
• Do you become excited about what the other is excited about?
• Do you celebrate each other’s wins?
• Are you there for each other and love the other unconditionally, and lift them up when they cannot?
With that, I wish you all a peaceful sleep tonight and a great tomorrow. God bless each of you and all of those to whom you are connected or will ever be!